Revesby South Public School

Strive to succeed

Telephone02 9773 8886

School history

Our school is one of many schools in the Bankstown network. With a history of more than 60 years in public education, this school has celebrated many outstanding achievements throughout its history.

The original land for our school was resumed in 1946 – 1947. The first block to be built was facing Mars Street, the present "D" block. It contained four classrooms, an office and a sick bay.

The school was opened on April 21st 1954 as an infants school. There were 74 children enrolled on opening, however, the numbers had increased to 138 by August. Mrs Beryl Williamson was the first Head Mistress. The first boy registered was Peter Annetts, and the first girl was Judith Adams, on the 23rd April 1954. There were 3 classes: Kindergarten, Year 1 and Year 2.

At the beginning of 1955 Mrs Williamson left and was replaced by the first Head Master, Mr Eric Bryant. There were now 241 children enrolled and 6 classes.

By 1956 the second stage of buildings (the present "H" and "G" blocks) were completed. The primary department was established and quickly the school enrolment increased to 500 students. In 1958 the school was organised into three departments - boys, girls and infants. By 1959 the school had reached 820 students.

The community's involvement in the school began very early, as by 1959 the school's Parents and Citizens Association (P&C) had raised one third of the cost for a school hall. The contracted price for the hall was 9,914 pounds. All those families that contributed to the hall fund had their names entered on an honour board, which is still in the hall.

On September 26th 1959, the school hall was opened by the Minister of Education, Mr E. J. Heffron. The Principal at this time was Mr G. F. Finlayson. He had also requested a library to be built, however, it would be thirteen years before this was done.

In 1961 the boys and girls departments were abolished and the primary school became co-educational. There was still a separate infants department. In 1971 the administration block was opened. This contained the staffroom, office and a library. This year also saw the changing of the four sport houses (Kendall, Patterson, Lawson and Wentworth) to two new houses - Sirius and Endeavour. Over the years more classroom blocks were gradually added and in 1964 a new toilet block was built to replace the older ones.

In 1994, the school celebrated its 40 year anniversary. As part of the celebration, the school buried a time capsule full of past memories of the school, for future generations to make use of.

In 2003, a new school song was written by the Principal, Mr Ian Millard, and a parent, Mrs Amanda Hanna. This song continues to instil pride in the school and is sung at all school assemblies and special events.

2003 also saw another change to the sport houses. Due to the growing enrolment at the school it was decided to change to four sport houses instead of two. The new houses were Laver, Jackson, Fraser and Taylor.

The school celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2004. As part of this celebration the covered outdoor learning area (COLA) was built and pavers were laid underneath.

In 2014, the school celebrated 60 years of public education. There were a number of events including a 60th anniversary fete. Funds raised from the fete went towards the installation of a synthetic soccer pitch which was opened by the member of East Hills Glenn Brookes and the school principal Mr Christopher Whitten.